Re: Woody serial mouse problems solved in BIOS?

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 10:36:09PM +0100, Paul Hailey wrote:
> snip
> If you haven't looked at the XFree86 log file in /var/log do so - it shows
> if the mouse bits are
>
> In my case I think I may have to hold a mouse button down as the 'gdm'
> system starts up,
> it hangs until the mouse is moved about - but at least an 'Auto' mouse
> protocol setting on the XFree86
> setup ( dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 ) works my ancient serial mouse,
>
> -- but note,
> it looks like when that dpkg prog.  is run, it puts in an assumed symlink
> setting (e.g to ttyS0) as
> something like '/dev/input/mice'  which is not much use, as everyone's
> advising us to
> use a symlink  '/dev/mouse' ...  so either change the XF86Config-4 config
> file (in /etc/X11)
> manually (which means not using the dpkg-reconfigure mode again) -- or make
> the symlink by command, to match the XF86Config-4 entry.
>
> I'm not that good at symlink but the command is
> ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse      (for /dev/mouse  on ==Com1 !)
>
> Would be useful if someone can tell me how to 'undo' a symlink!

A symlink is a just special kind of file. It contains a file name, and
(almost) any attempt to access it goes to the target.

~ %% ln -s does-not-exist foosym
~ %% ls -l foosym
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           14 Sep  4  2004 foosym -> does-not-exist
~ %% cat foosym
cat: foosym: No such file or directory
~ %% ed textfile
textfile: No such file or directory
foo
.
4
~ %% ln -s textfile anothername
~ %% cat anothername
foo
~ %% rm anothername
~ %% cat textfile
foo
~ %% ln -s textfile anothername
~ %% rm textfile
~ %% cat anothername
cat: anothername: No such file or directory
~ %% rm anothername

> The only other thing I messed around with was the 3 (or so) mouse
> modules - if that's what they are - in the kernel config file settings list
> (in /boot) ... but I'm unsure exactly which parts were essential.
> Leave that until final exhaustion of possibility.
/boot/config-<VERSION>? Editing that file shouldn't make a difference
(and shouldn't be done). To change modules edit /etc/modules.

> And finally, I use 'ee' (apt-get install ee) editor, I like to minimise
> Debian pains...
Don't say that!  You might start a holy war!

> Any comments appreciated, and apologies for any typo's or duff info.
> Hope this gets some other newbie Debian v3 users out of a jam and avoid
> that trip to get the ps2 mouse.
What's wrong with the PS/2 mouse? I had one and it worked "out of the
box" with Woody. (I still use it, I just removed the USB->PS/2
converter.)

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER