Woody serial mouse problems solved in BIOS?

Hi - after 3 weeks messing with Debian Woody bf2.4, I found out---
'standard' 9 pin serial mice may not work on the desktop (kde etc) ......................
until you set the BIOS IRQ and memory address of serial ports 'ttyS0' and /or 'ttyS1', to match the
settings that the '/etc/serial.conf' file contains. Obvious, but I didn't find this using web searches.

I see some reference to  port settings as the boot messages appear,
(you can get them back with 'dmesg' to look at...    alt + page up or down, to scroll pages)

You can change the IRQ and address of each serial port setting in Woody using
dpkg-reconfigure setserial  (serial.conf file is in /etc), but it's better to take a look at the
last lines of the file manually, and check them against what the BIOS is set to, and
alter and save..

My BIOS is on a ATX 586 mobo, it can set various port values,  the 'default'
expected in bf 2.4 seems to be
ttyS0   (= com1) address 3F8  IRQ 4
ttyS1  address 2F8  IRQ 3  (= 'Com2')
so I matched those and at last I have a graphics mouse!!!!

There are loads of references to setting up the XFree86 config file with the mouse parameters -
but no-one seems to have logged these possible problems from the BIOS serial port settings,
if you have them on your BIOS (under 'peripherals' on my mobo). The Linux OS does not seem
to realise what the bios is set to.

If you haven't looked at the XFree86 log file in /var/log do so - it shows if the mouse bits are

In my case I think I may have to hold a mouse button down as the 'gdm' system starts up,
it hangs until the mouse is moved about - but at least an 'Auto' mouse protocol setting on the XFree86
setup ( dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 ) works my ancient serial mouse,

-- but note,
it looks like when that dpkg prog.  is run, it puts in an assumed symlink setting (e.g to ttyS0) as
something like '/dev/input/mice'  which is not much use, as everyone's advising us to
use a symlink  '/dev/mouse' ...  so either change the XF86Config-4 config file (in /etc/X11)
manually (which means not using the dpkg-reconfigure mode again) -- or make
the symlink by command, to match the XF86Config-4 entry.

I'm not that good at symlink but the command is
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse      (for /dev/mouse  on ==Com1 !)

Would be useful if someone can tell me how to 'undo' a symlink!

The only other thing I messed around with was the 3 (or so) mouse
modules - if that's what they are - in the kernel config file settings list
(in /boot) ... but I'm unsure exactly which parts were essential.
Leave that until final exhaustion of possibility.

And finally, I use 'ee' (apt-get install ee) editor, I like to minimise Debian pains...

Any comments appreciated, and apologies for any typo's or duff info.
Hope this gets some other newbie Debian v3 users out of a jam and avoid
that trip to get the ps2 mouse.

I see the greatness of Debian's approach - but 'they' do leave us first timers to find out
by trial and error sometimes?
Paul Hailey