Re: Problem with apt-get

On Thursday 02 September 2004 09:39, Matthew Singerman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was attempting to install KDE yesterday, but it died halfway through. I
> am now running into very silly problems. When I try it again, I get the
> following:
>
> # apt-get install kde
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> kde: Depends: kdeartwork but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: kdegraphics but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: kdemultimedia but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: kdenetwork but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: kdepim but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: kdeutils but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: quanta but it is not going to be installed
> kdeaddons: Depends: kontact-plugins (>= 4:3.2.3-2) but it is not going to
> be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
>
> running apt-get -f install yields little more:
>
> # apt-get -f install
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
> kontact-plugins
> Suggested packages:
> kdeaddons-doc-html
> kontact-plugins
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 572 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/52.4kB of archives.
> After unpacking 188kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> (Reading database ... 119731 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking kontact-plugins (from .../kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb)
> dpkg: error processing
> /usr/tmp/archives/kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde3/kcm_kontactknt.so', which is also in
> package kontact
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /usr/tmp/archives/kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb

This is a known bug.

> Now, if I am reading this properly, it is dying because it's trying to
> overwrite an existing file but it can't. I tried deleting the file and
> giving it another go, to no avail. Nothing is working. Also, if I try to

That's because you removed the file, but package management knows that it's
supposed to be there, so it won't overwrite it.  If you really want to
overwrite it, look into the force options.

> remove KDE:
>
> # apt-get remove kde
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package kde is not installed, so not removed
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> kdeaddons: Depends: kontact-plugins (>= 4:3.2.3-2) but it is not going to
> be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
>
> So I'm sort of stuck here, unable to go forwards or backwards. I tried
> all sorts of dpkg and dpkg-deb things, including manually extracting the
> package, which worked but didn't register the kontact-plugins package as
> being installed. Is there any way go get out of this situation?!

You need to track dependencies back and figure out what to do.  If you force
kontact-plugins to be installed, you should be fine.  If you decide you
don't want kontact-plugins, then remove it from the list of packages to be
installed.  Oh, but kdeaddons depends on kontact-plugins.  Well, don't
install kdeaddons, but rather the individual packages that it depends on,
minus kontact-plugins, of course.  Oh, but kde depends on kdeaddons.  Same
solution.  With aptitude, this is pretty simple.  Open up the kde package,
and instead of selecting it to install, select the individual depends lines
to be installed.  Open up kdeaddons, and do the same.

If that's too hard, just wait until kontact-plugins is fixed.

Hope that helps.
Justin Guerin