Problem with apt-get

Hi all,

I was attempting to install KDE yesterday, but it died halfway through. I
am now running into very silly problems. When I try it again, I get the
following:

# apt-get install kde
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
kde: Depends: kdeartwork but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdegraphics but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdemultimedia but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdenetwork but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdepim but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kdeutils but it is not going to be installed
Depends: quanta but it is not going to be installed
kdeaddons: Depends: kontact-plugins (>= 4:3.2.3-2) but it is not going to
be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

running apt-get -f install yields little more:

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
kontact-plugins
Suggested packages:
kdeaddons-doc-html
kontact-plugins
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 572 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/52.4kB of archives.
After unpacking 188kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 119731 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kontact-plugins (from .../kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb)
dpkg: error processing
/usr/tmp/archives/kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/kde3/kcm_kontactknt.so', which is also in
package kontact
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/usr/tmp/archives/kontact-plugins_4%3a3.2.3-2_i386.deb

Now, if I am reading this properly, it is dying because it's trying to
overwrite an existing file but it can't. I tried deleting the file and
giving it another go, to no avail. Nothing is working. Also, if I try to
remove KDE:

# apt-get remove kde
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package kde is not installed, so not removed
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
kdeaddons: Depends: kontact-plugins (>= 4:3.2.3-2) but it is not going to
be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

So I'm sort of stuck here, unable to go forwards or backwards. I tried all
sorts of dpkg and dpkg-deb things, including manually extracting the
package, which worked but didn't register the kontact-plugins package as
being installed. Is there any way go get out of this situation?!