Re: knoppix vs standard debian?

On Thursday 02 September 2004 01:38, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
> Hi, I will try to make this newbie post really quick,
>
> I am learning Linux due to my incredible hate of Gates' policies and
> security vulnerability.

You have joined the right club!

> I picked up a book with knoppix CD included,
> to "test the waters."
[...]
> Is there a webpage or faq, or can somebody clue me in to, whether I
> should get a "regular" debian?!  Would there be an advantage to, say,
> picking up a copy of "Debian Bible" and installing that instead over
> knoppix debian?

If you look at the debian-user archive, you will find several threads on this
over the last year or so.

Some people, like me, are happy to start with Knoppix (or Gnoppix, Mepis, etc)
and allow the system to gradually morph into standard Debian.  I did this
because at the time I first moved to Debian, some of my hardware was not
recognized by the Debian installer whereas Knoppix worked out of the box.  I
believe the new installer is now far better and you may think it is worth
trying a reinstall -- your hardware may in any case not be problematic.  On
the other hand, I have never had any problems resulting from the migration,
and have wasted very little time on the occasional adjustment or deletion of
redundant bits of Knoppix.

Other people have different experience, and say that it is better to start
with a "pure" install, even if it is more difficult at first (and, as I said,
it probably will not be difficult for you).

--
richard