Re: knoppix vs standard debian?

Hello

Scotty Fitzgerald (<sfitz007@bestweb.net>) wrote:

> I am learning Linux due to my incredible hate of Gates' policies and
> security vulnerability.  I picked up a book with knoppix CD included,
> to "test the waters."
>
> I really love it, and managed to install debian "unstable" onto my
> hard disk and everything seems to be working fine except for some
> screensavers.
>
> Is there a webpage or faq, or can somebody clue me in to, whether I
> should get a "regular" debian?!  Would there be an advantage to, say,
> picking up a copy of "Debian Bible" and installing that instead over
> knoppix debian?

Don't install any version older than Woody (3.0). That is the current
stable release, and the only version that gets timely security updates.
Newer versions are not officially supported by the security team, and
under developement, so from time to time things can break. I use Sarge,
which will soon (hopefully) be released as the next stable version, and
it works well for me, but again, security issues being fixed can take
some time in Sarge.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270