Re: Configuring Courier

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:36:20 +0100 Upayavira wrote:
> I want to set up a Debian based mail server, with SMTP sending, IMAP and
> [...]
> maildir doesn't exist or has incorrect ownership or permissions".
> [...]
>
> So, can anyone either (a) help me fix the above or (b) tell me where I
> can get help fixing the above or (c) recommend a SMTP/IMAP/Webmail setup
> that is relatively easy to configure, and that can be installed with
> apt-get from Sarge?

(a) and (b) - No, sorry.

(c) My home machine hosts all mail under my care, and uses Sendmail as
    MTA, Courier-imap for both secure and unsecure IMAP connections
    (local or over the internet), Squirrelmail and Apache-ssl for
    secure remote mail retrievals with a web frontend. It's been
    working reliably with no maintenance for over a year, surviving
    all my daily apt-get dist-upgrades (Debian Testing).
    The most difficult to set up was Courier-imap, mainly due to my
    newbieness. The provided documentation was enough, a fair amount
    of reading will get you through the whole setup.

In my experience, "easy to configure" in this kind of software usually
translates into "the maintainer or the software takes care of most
configuration options", which also usually leads to the wrong end
of the security/reliability path (cf. Windows). The time and effort you
spend on "learning" the software will help you get more reliable/secure
performance, more confidence on your system, and make you an expert on
the matters at hand. Useless at parties, though ;)

HTH

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/

"I find gnome is far too susceptible to not working" - J.D.H