Configuring Courier

I want to set up a Debian based mail server, with SMTP sending, IMAP and webmail. I am trying to do this with the Courier package. Actually, what I want, at the moment, is a self contained mail system, it doesn't have to deliver to the Internet. I'm using Sarge.

I am having trouble getting mailboxes configured. When I send myself a mail (mail -s "hiya" upayavira), it creates a file called Maildir in my home directory. It looks rather like a 'mbox' file. If I delete that file, and create a proper Maildir with maildirmake ~/Maildir, then try sending again, I get "./Maildir: No such file or directory: No such file or directory" showing in my /var/log/syslog file.

Similarly, when I have a ~/Maildir directory and log into the courier webmail system, I get "Internal error (module sqconfig.c, line 77) - contact system administrator". When I do it with an mbox file called ~/Maildir, I get "Unable to open the maildir for this account -- the maildir doesn't exist or has incorrect ownership or permissions".

I suspect I'm very close, but I can't figure it out.

So, can anyone either (a) help me fix the above or (b) tell me where I can get help fixing the above or (c) recommend a SMTP/IMAP/Webmail setup that is relatively easy to configure, and that can be installed with apt-get from Sarge?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Upayavira