Re: mysterious X lockups on Sarge

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 02:26:12PM -0300, ScruLoose wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For several weeks now, I've been having X lock up on me occasionally,
> and I'm a bit stumped as to where to start debugging it...

Me, too.

> I'm running Sarge on a P4 3.2 HT, and my video card is a GeForce FX
> 5200 using the nvidia binary driver.  I've had this problem on both a
> home-rolled 2.4.22 kernel and the Debian 2.6.7-SMP kernel-package.

I'm using an Athlon 1600 (I thing it's a 1600), and an ATI8500DV,
using the ati driver.  I'm using the 2.6 kernel that is
installed by the new Debian installer.

> Every couple of days or so X seems to die an abrupt death.  The display
> will freeze completely, keyboard input has no effect (including
> CTRL-ALT-F1 and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE).  The system is still running,
> though: If XMMS is playing when the problem hits, the music keeps on
> going;

I haven't got xmms to run yet.  But the machine soes still seem to be running
-- I can ssh into it from elsewhere.
But keyboard is locked out, just as you say.

 and I can ssh in to the box no problem.  If I kill -9 the XDM and
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X processes then the screen goes black... but then doing
> /etc/init.d/xdm start just silently fails.  So I've been ssh-ing in just
> to reboot the box.

I too can ssh in from elsewhare, and killing things doewn/t help.
Please tell me how to reboot cleanly from ssh.  So far I've been using
the reset button on the computer itself.

> Now, I've had this happen while I was surfing the web, and while the
> screensaver was running, and sometimes after the monitor has gone to
> sleep (oh, and once in the middle of a game of armagetron).

I've only had it happen when running armagetron.  But then it usually happens.
My oldest son has played with the armagetron settings (choice of video modes,
texturing, etc.), and he seems to have more luck with it than I do.

> A "tail" of XFree86.0.log shows a bunch of GetModeLine entries, but
> nothing that looks like error or panic or "ack! I'm dying!"...
> I've done an 8-hr run of memtest86 with no complaints at all, the
> temperature seems to be happy, and loading the crap out of the system
> doesn't make it fail (I tried 5 hours of a kernel-compile loop, and 2
> hours of cpuburn with no problems).

I haven't done any of these things.

> So where do I start looking to figure out what's causing this and/or to
> fix it.

If I'm hitting the same bug, it will probably be something out installations
have in common -- probably NOT the CPU, or the video drivers -- unless ATI
and NVIDIA have something in comnon.

> 	Thanks for any help

I'll thank for any help, too.

-- hendrik