Re: Working backup solution?

John Summerfield wrote:
>>> I especially like the way you quantified the amount of data to be
>>> backed up before offering a solution:-)
>>>

>> i donno if you're kidding or if you're flaming :-)

Probably both.  ;-)

> :--
>
>> the poster did say he was happy with 640GB of space ..
>>

> The PowerVault 112T DLT VS80 is tape, and Amanda is (free) tape backup
> software.
>
> If you need more backup storage, you buy another carton of tapes.
>
> If Didde is half-way competant and has decided tape is appropriate, I'd
> say chances are disk won't do.

I recently upgraded my tape infrastructure at work (although not using
Debian or AMANDA), and i actually found that disk was *cheaper* than
tape, based on the pricings and capacities available to me at the time.

> I've seen good reports of Amanda, including amongst the zServer crowd.

I use AMANDA to backup all of our RH/RHEL/FC servers at work, and it
works well, but its best feature (automatically balancing the full &
incremental backups across the tapes) is also its worst feature for
off-site storage (because the full & incremental backups are balanced
across all of the tapes :-).  I get around this by taking every tape
off-site as soon as it is used, which is a pain.

I've used AMANDA up until this point at home, but now that i've switched
my desktop to sarge, i'm going to investigate bacula.  From the
documentation, it seems fairly sensible.
--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>