Re: firewire (IEEE1394) harddrive: how to use?

John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> wrote in message news:<2yd9Y-51v-71@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> Ryo Furue wrote:
[...]
> >But, since I formatted it as an ext2 filesystem,
> >it won't work with Windows any longer.
> >
> >So, I have a feeling that I did something wrong.  What was the "right"
> >way?  How do you think the tech guy used the drive?  The partition ID
> >53 (Disk Manager), which I don't know what it is, smells something
> >related, but . . .  Additional questions are, what should one do to
> >share a firewire drive between Linux and Windows?  What about
> >hotplugging?
> >
> What you've done is pretty much what I'd have done. Disk Manager is
> software for DOS-family operating systems so they can use drives not
> supported in the BIOS, typically larger than the current BIOS limit.

That means that even if I reformat the drive into a DOS filesystem,
that won't be the original status of the drive and it won't work as
before.  Let's hope that our tech guy knows how to fix it.  Or let's not.
In fact, I borrowed it from him and must return it soon.  If he can't
fix it, he might give it up and permanently lend it to me. :-)

> One thing I would have done is install hotplug. My USB drive pretty much
> just works when I plug it into anything. No mucking around with modules.

Do you mean the hotplug package?  Sounds wonderful.  I'll try it.  Thanks.

Thanks, John, for your help.

Ryo