firewire (IEEE1394) harddrive: how to use?

Hi all,

This may sound a stupid question, but how are we *supposed*
to use a firewire harddrive?  I'm now using one without problems,
so this isn't a usual "howto" question.

The other day I asked our tech person for an internal ATA harddrive.
He didn't have one at the moment, so he gave me a firewire harddrive
instead, saying that it should work with my Debian box because he
used it with his RedHat box.  He added that I could erase any of
his files in the drive.

I managed to add necessary modules to my kernel by consulting this
website
   http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.php
and I saw that the drive was recognized by the drivers, judging from
the messages in /var/log/messages.  But,

   # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

didn't work.  (The error message was to the effect of wrong filesystem.)
I tried "ext2" in place of "vfat" unsuccesfully.  Finally, I looked
into the disk by fdisk and found that the partitioning didn't make sense
to me.  The partition boundaries didn't allign with cylinder boundaries;
the partition IDs were 53 (Disk Manager 6.0 Aux3), 67 (68 or 69, I forgot
which, but it was Novell), and something which wasn't in the ID list
(http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html).

Hmm.  Since the tech guy said I could erase anything and since I was
in a hurry, I erased all the existing partitions, created a fresh one,
and formatted the disk as an ext2 filesystem.  That's what I'm now using.
It works perfectly fine.  But, since I formatted it as an ext2 filesystem,
it won't work with Windows any longer.

So, I have a feeling that I did something wrong.  What was the "right"
way?  How do you think the tech guy used the drive?  The partition ID
53 (Disk Manager), which I don't know what it is, smells something
related, but . . .  Additional questions are, what should one do to
share a firewire drive between Linux and Windows?  What about
hotplugging?

Thank you,
Ryo