Re: firewire (IEEE1394) harddrive: how to use?

Ryo Furue wrote:

  # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

didn't work.  (The error message was to the effect of wrong filesystem.)
I tried "ext2" in place of "vfat" unsuccesfully.  Finally, I looked
into the disk by fdisk and found that the partitioning didn't make sense
to me.  The partition boundaries didn't allign with cylinder boundaries;
the partition IDs were 53 (Disk Manager 6.0 Aux3), 67 (68 or 69, I forgot
which, but it was Novell), and something which wasn't in the ID list
(http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html).

Hmm.  Since the tech guy said I could erase anything and since I was
in a hurry, I erased all the existing partitions, created a fresh one,
and formatted the disk as an ext2 filesystem.  That's what I'm now using.
It works perfectly fine.  But, since I formatted it as an ext2 filesystem,
it won't work with Windows any longer.

So, I have a feeling that I did something wrong.  What was the "right"
way?  How do you think the tech guy used the drive?  The partition ID
53 (Disk Manager), which I don't know what it is, smells something
related, but . . .  Additional questions are, what should one do to
share a firewire drive between Linux and Windows?  What about
hotplugging?

What you've done is pretty much what I'd have done. Disk Manager is software for DOS-family operating systems so they can use drives not supported in the BIOS, typically larger than the current BIOS limit.

One thing I would have done is install hotplug. My USB drive pretty much just works when I plug it into anything. No mucking around with modules.

Maybe your techo gave you the wrong drive and it had important data on it:-)

btw fdisk has a list of partition types built into it:
Command (m for help): l

0 Empty 1c Hidden W95 FAT3 70 DiskSecure Mult bb Boot Wizard hid
1  FAT12           1e  Hidden W95 FAT1 75  PC/IX           be  Solaris boot
2 XENIX root 24 NEC DOS 80 Old Minix c1 DRDOS/sec (FAT-
etc

--

Cheers
John