Re: 2 Problems Yet to Be Resolved

gsutton9503@wavecable.com wrote:

Okay now. Last night, I completely reinstalled my OS, using Mepis.

If Mepis doesn't give you a system that just works the way you want it to, I'm at a loss to understand why you didn't just just the new Sarge installer. But not being familiar with Mepis I can only assume there is some good reason.

Currently, neither the sound nor the NICs are working, though they do work when I boot up with the Mepis CD. Here is how I set things up (hopefully, this info can help in troubleshooting).

First, I did the installation on a single 3GB partition (hda1).

After the installation was complete, I rebooted and successfully logged in. At this point, sound and both NICs were still working.

I then made dedicated partitions for /tmp /root /usr /usr/local /var /opt and /home

I mounted those as /tmpnew /rootnew /usrnew /usrnew/local /varnew /optnew and /homenew and copied everything from their original counterparts over to the new locations.

After that, I renamed the old locations to /tmpold /rootold /usrold /usrold/local /varold /optold and /homeold and renamed the new locations to what the old ones originally were.

Unless these were already on their own partitions (which they weren't), or unless you excluded some subdirectories (like /usr/local) from the copy, you may have "duplicates". Also, if you didn't use the -p or -a switch to cp, your permissions are probably messed up.

By "/root", I assume you mean "/root" and not "/"?

Finally, I edited /etc/fstab to mount the new partitions at the appropriate mount points and rebooted again.

Everything seemed to be going well, except for three things.

1: The only user that could log in graphically was root. That problem has been fixed.

2: netcardconfig no longer "sees" the NICs

3: Upon logging in, I am presented with an error message for sound...

"device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
The sound driver will continue, using the null output device."

I am guessing that not everything got copied over to the new partitions, but I have no idea what to look for. Or, it could be permissions problems. I just don't know and am completely stumped here.

Look at the output of "dmesg" for errors. Better yet, disable your GUI login screen (KDM? GDM? etc) and reboot, then at the login prompt use Shift-PgUp and look for errors.

Boot from the Mepis CD and do a "lsmod", then boot into your system and compare that "lsmod" for the modules that are loaded.

--
Kent