Re: Too Many Open Files On System

I don't have an answer just a similar experience. But I did discover that it was over 100 nmbd samba files, discovered through use of ps, that gave me the clue.

I never did discover what spawned all the nmbd processes. But they were the source of the too many open files errors I believe. On the other hand maybe i was wrong and someone will correct/enlighten me.

Mike Ward wrote:

Firstly, I apologize for having no real details on this.

I'm running Debian Unstable, and seemingly randomly, I'll go to run a
program or save a file or what not, and I'll get an error to the
effect of "too many open files on system". In one case, I rebooted to
try and solve this, and within 5 minutes of starting X, it started
that again.

That brings me to the next part - Sometimes (often), it seems that
it's a simple case of shutting down another program. In the
aforementioned case, it was Internet Explorer running under Crossover
Office. Another one was when "ls" returned "Segmentation Fault" while
I ran "tail -f" on the apache error log. If I shut down tail, it
worked fine. Started tailing again, and again "ls" would Seg Fault,
but after a reboot, it's never happened again.

In a bit of frustration, I didn't think to write down what file (ugh),
but some commands and programs would say that a certian library
couldn't be opened. That also is usually soved by shutting down a
program that seemingly has nothing to do with the one that's reporting
the problem.

Again, I apologize for having next to no *real* information on this
problem, but I will indeed post back with some now that it's become a
problem rather than a minor annoyance. Any ideas are appreciated.