Re: Too Many Open Files On System

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 10:00:35PM -0500, Ken Januski wrote:
> I don't have an answer just a similar experience. But I did discover
> that it was over 100 nmbd samba files, discovered through use of ps,
> that gave me the clue.
>
> >Firstly, I apologize for having no real details on this.
> >
> >I'm running Debian Unstable, and seemingly randomly, I'll go to run a
> >program or save a file or what not, and I'll get an error to the
> >effect of "too many open files on system". In one case, I rebooted to
> >try and solve this, and within 5 minutes of starting X, it started
> >that again.

Linux has a file-max variable.

You may be able to fix it like this:

sudo sh -c 'echo 16384 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max'

You may also want to:

sudo sh -c 'echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max'

Just don't set it too high or programs that eat file descriptors could
eat all your memory (and remember, kernel pool can't be paged).

--
The world's most effective spam filter:

while :; do sleep 1 > /var/mail/$USER; done