Re: OT: Questions or Doubts?

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote in message news:<2v92K-Ua-5@gated-at.bofh.it>...
> Hopefully this won't offend anyone; I'm just curious.
>
> I often see posts on this list with subject lines like:
>
>   Doubt about Debian Installation
>
> or
>
>   Configuring PS/2 Mouse Doubts
>
> Is this word "doubt" a non-American-English-speaker's word for
> "question"? And if so, in that person's language, is "doubt" equivalent
> to "question", or is it just that they don't understand the use of
> the word?

I'm new to this discussion group/mailing list and I haven't seen
such subject lines as you are referring to.  But, here's a contribution
from a native speaker of Japanese.  There is a Japanese word which
can indeed be translated either into "doubt" or into "question" depending
on the context.  Even though this does not preclude other possibilities,
those subject lines you cite could be explained as translations from
Japanese.

Cheers,
Ryo