Re: (Sid) Net broken - Sending streams stall

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Brendon Higgins wrote:
> I'd remember, but I don't remember doing anything regarding that particular
> acronym. At least, not manually.

A new kernel could have it enabled by default, or something...

> Well, my computer can talk to any other, to a degree. For some reason larger

I mean through a router.  It certainly is having trouble.

> data just fine, but seems to have trouble sending it. Mind you, this only
> happens to individual streams, and it does not happen in Win98, which is why
> I suspect something in my Debian install is broken. Does the Linux TCP/IP
> implementation really differ that much from Windows that a problem like this
> is possible to exist in one but not the other?

Yes.  Linux TCP/IP is to Win98 TCP/IP what a P4 is to an original 80386SX.

And there are a huge lot of completely buggy TCP/IP routers and firewalls
out there, that fail to work right as soon as something that was not being
done before is used.  Never mind TCP/IP is forward-compatible, when
implemented correctly.

Usually, it is Linux and the BSDs that hit those buggy routers first, since
the Windows TCP/IP stack is something of the stone age that can barely talk
to others.  When you only use the 5 most common words in a language, it gets
difficult to find others that won't understand you...  But don't ask it to
do anything too dificult.

  Henrique Holschuh