Strange behaviour updating Sarge

Hiya all, I move some machines to sarge to see how it does as production
server, after a while updating apt-get update; apt-get upgrade,
a use dselect to add some packages, then I notice that some package not
within those i select to install or its dependencis where to be install or
even remove. I did some aditional testin and the same happend in others
machines.
I allways thought that doing apt-get upgrade was exactly the same as
apdating with dselect or aptitude, but it seams that those package managers
take into consideration more things than apt-get does.
Whats the correct method for keeping update a testing or unstable install,
dselect/aptitude, apt-get or a mixture of the both.
Just for the record apt-get upgrade works fine in stable ;) just in case,
someone get mess up.

Cheers,
rak