Re: usb printer "gone" after apt-get dist-upgrade?

On 2004-08-27, Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at> wrote:

> This is getting to me,

Hey, my printing broke with apsfilter and it threw me into a deep
depression.  Apparently, it was a problem with sed, although I've not
verified that.  When all is sed and done, etc.

> Had such a hard time installing the usb printer here, and last it
> was working was before I did apt-get dist-upgrade.
> Now Cups tells me that there is no device /dev/usb/lp0.

Well, you don't give us much to go on.  Are all the proper modules being
loaded for usb printing?

> So most likely the solution is somewhere else, but I would like to know
> if apt-get dist-upgrade can have such effects, that printers don't work
> afterwards?

I think your printer still works, frankly.

> /etc/printcap entry

<snip>

I don't believe cups is using that default /etc/printcap.  It's extraneous
information.