usb printer "gone" after apt-get dist-upgrade?

This is getting to me,

Had such a hard time installing the usb printer here, and last it
was working was before I did apt-get dist-upgrade.
Now Cups tells me that there is no device /dev/usb/lp0.

So most likely the solution is somewhere else, but I would like to know
if apt-get dist-upgrade can have such effects, that printers don't work
afterwards?

/etc/printcap entry

# /etc/printcap: printer capability database. See printcap(5).
# You can use the filter entries df, tf, cf, gf etc. for
# your own filters. See /etc/filter.ps, /etc/filter.pcl and
# the printcap(5) manual page for further details.

lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\