Re: copying text from console to X with gpmdata?

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:12:03PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:46:52AM -0700, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 11:08:33PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > I do that all the time, and it ALWAYS works.  The only problem I have is:
> >
> > 1. Select Text     1. Select text
> > 2.                 2. Hit Ctrl-C
> > 3. Select Text     3. Select Text
> > 4. Middle Click    4. Hit Ctrl-V
>
> That doesn't work.  You're mixing selections (the left side) with the
> clipboard (the right side).  Do it all with the clipboard, and it works.

Reformatted:
What windows teaches you to do:
1. Select text to copy
2. Ctl-C
3. Select text to replace
4. Ctl-V

Convert to the 'X11 way':
1. Select text to copy
2. Select text to replace
3. Btn2 click

which doesn't work.

> > You can see how an ex-Windozer can have problems.
>
> No, actually, I can't, because I see no reason why this supposed ex-Windows
> user would even try to use *selections*.  He would have no clue that you
> could move text around just by selecting it.
Actually, I was referring to myself.

> He would expect the clipboard in X to work the same way it does in Windows,
> and he'd be justified, because it more or less does.

> This is why idiots who tell people that selections are the same thing
> as the clipboard should be shot.
Agreed.

> > > The PRIMARY and SECONDARY selections are orthagonal to CLIPBOARD.
> > Yet, Xterm selections go into both.
>
> Yes, the default configuration for xterm is that it both asserts PRIMARY,
> and copies the selected text to CLIPBOARD.  Not that it's hard to change
> that, but that's what it does by default.
>
> What $RANDOM_APPLICATION does, however, when presented with
> middle-mouse-click, is not defined by any standard, but by the individual
> application.
>
> It may try to paste PRIMARY (Mozilla), it may try to paste CLIPBOARD (vim),
> or it may try to paste PRIMARY and then try to paste CLIPBOARD if it can't
> get PRIMARY (xterm).

"Standards are great - there are soo many of them to chose from!"
 - unremembered webpage

Yikes.