Re: copying text from console to X with gpmdata?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:22:49PM -0400, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> Frequently when I select with the mouse and try to paste (middle
> button) into an emacs session it doesn't work the first time, have to
> do it some times several times before it works. Don't know why.

Because by the time you get to the running emacs, PRIMARY is no longer
asserted by whatever application you'd selected text in.

Example... you left-mouse-select in xterm, xterm asserts PRIMARY, you go
over to emacs, middle-mouse, X asks xterm for PRIMARY, pastes it into
emacs.

Second example... you left-mouse-select in xterm, xterm asserts PRIMARY,
you go over to emacs, but in the meantime the xterm has scrolled, the
highlight has gone away, and xterm relinquishes PRIMARY.  Now when you
middle-mouse, X has no one to ask for PRIMARY, and so nothing gets pasted.

The PRIMARY and SECONDARY selections are orthagonal to CLIPBOARD.

One of the great reasons why the Gnome developers should be shot on sight
is that they try to hide the fact that there are two mechanisms going on,
thus confusing $LUSER, rather than either actually explaining it, or
ignoring one in favor of the other.  I'm not sure what KDE does, but I'm
sure it's every bit as stupid.

The single best description of how cut and paste actually works in X11 can
be found here:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

--
 Marc Wilson |     I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
 msw@cox.net |     -- Publilius Syrus