Re: File permissions? Poss OT

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:41:00 -0500
"John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:01:21 -0500
> "John Fleming" <john@wa9als.com> wrote:

[snip - problem with images not displaying on user's website]

> > Have you checked the error logs for apache? They usually provide
> > more  info about where it's looking for the file when it says not
> > found, etc.
>
> =============================
> Thanks, that helps, but I still don't understand.  Apache log has a
> bunch of errors because it's looking for the images in
> /usr/share/images instead of/home/username/www/images.  The URLs
> however, point to the user's/www/images directory.  What would make it
> want to look in/usr/share/images??

Just a guess, but is he using relative or absolute paths to the images?
/usr/share/images sounds like a common apache alias for things like the
images displayed next to different file types for directory listings
when there's no index.html file.

Depending on how that alias is setup and how he's referencing his own
images directory in his img tags, that could make apache look in
/usr/share/images instead of his own images subdir. The easiest way to
test this would probably be looking for all images aliases in your
apache config file, commenting them out and then restarting apache.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #20:
Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates.