File permissions? Poss OT

Please bear with me - I had a working virtual host on Debian unstable and
Apache 1.3.31 with web files in the user's /home/username/www/ directory.
(name-based virtual hosting).  I had some problems and ended up reinstalling
unstable.  I restored the user's ../www/ folder from a Mondoarchive CD, as
well as another user's site.  One user's site was fine, but the other's had
errors, but only with one directory with images - His whole site won't
display any image, and they are all in his appropriately-referred to
../www/images/ directory.

Since those initial observations, I've installed (for other reasons) Debian
Sarge.  Again I restored the 2 users' ../www folders, and again the same
observations - one site is fine and the other will not display images from
the ../www/images directory.

I have checked file permissions and ownership, and all are appropriate and
world-readable.  Anything else to check??

To get a little more into the bizarre, right after I reinstalled the problem
site yesterday, I surfed the site from a Windows machine on the same LAN -
Everything worked fine - images displayed, sounds played etc etc.  I thought
things were fine until the user emailed me that he still can't see the
images.  Now a day later, I can't view the images from the machine on the
same LAN either!  Furthermore, surfing the site from the server machine
shows SOME, but not all, of the images from that directory!  He has some
thumbnails that point to larger photos - The error displayed in this case
when I click on the thumbnail is that the file cannot be found - NOT a
permission error.  BUT THE FILE IS THERE!

I know this might sound a little flaky!  But I'm hoping someone here will
see something common to all this that I'm missing?

Thanks for y our patience and BW - John