Re: kernel panic

geekboy wrote:

Martin Dickopp wrote:

freeing initrd memory: 3956k freed
FAT: bogus logical sectro size 0
kernel panic: VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:05

So the initrd.img is working. remembered to run lilo after upgrade.
does the 03:05 mean the fat partition on hda3 is screwed?

No, 03:05 refers to hda5. It means the kernel cannot mount hda5 as the
root filesystem. Is it perhaps trying to mount it as fat32, while it is
in fact ext2?

Okay well I checked fstab, and it's listed as loading it as ext2.
I removed the fat32 partition just in case (from fstab & with cfdisk remove)
and it still panics.

I'm with Martin in that the problem is with hda5. Here's how to tell:
kowari:~# ls /dev/hda5
brw-rw----  1 root disk 3, 5 Mar 15  2002 /dev/hda5
kowari:~#

Presumably your kernel commandline iis something like this:
root=/dev/hda5 ro

Now,it's likely that support for ext2 is in a module. If so, then your kernel can't read the filesystem until the module is loaded.

The module should be in your initial ram disk. I see you are using one, so you need to check on how it's created.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait