kernel panic

Just tried upgrading my kernel from knoppix 2.4.22xfs to 2.4.26-1-k7
while booting it grinds to a halt with error:

freeing initrd memory: 3956k freed
FAT: bogus logical sectro size 0
kernel panic: VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:05

So the initrd.img is working. remembered to run lilo after upgrade.
does the 03:05 mean the fat partition on hda3 is screwed?

hda5 is the root ext2 partition
have hda1 ntfs still for now.
hda3 fat32
hda6 swap
hda7  an ext2 linux partition (/backup)

am only upgrading so I can make a nvidia module.
mainly cause being on modem means weeks of downloads to get deb packages.
already spent 9 weeks getting all 3.0r2 heh, the passion & patience :)

Haldor