Re: Weird Samba misbehaviour.

BCC: adam.funk@blueyonder.co.uk
From: Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>
--text follows this line--
I've received the following advice by e-mail, which I think I ought to
share with the list.

1> It is a known bug that was scheduled to be fixed in 3.0.5, but I
1> guess the 3.0.5 version ended up being a somewhat out-of-cycle
1> security release and did not include the fix. It will be in 3.0.6
1> they say.
1>
1> Though not in the 3.0.5 release, the fix was in 3.0.5rc1, which I
1> got a copy of and am using now with success. I plan to move to
1> 3.0.6 when it is released.
1>
1> As I recall, the problem was that ntbackup.exe tries to open the
1> directory as a regular file and Samba returns an erroneous "no
1> such file" error rather than the correct "not a regular file"
1> type of error. If the correct error is returned, ntbackup.exe
1> retries the open as a directory instead.

2> I found that if I used the network path (e.g.
2> \\server\fileshare\) instead of a mapped network drive (e.g.
2> Z:\fileshare\) it worked just fine.

Hope this helps someone else.