Re: Problems uninstalling

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:27:32AM +0200, Pablo Cebrian wrote:
> Sorry, I've a problem. in My pc, I have two hard disks, one with Linux and
> other with Windows. In the Linux hard disk I installed some time ago an
> OpenCaldera distribution of Linux, and recently I've installed in that hard
> disk Debian too. Debian works correctly, but the Caldera Openlinux is
> broken. How can I remove this one (OpenCaldera) and keep the Debian
> distribution without uninstall Debian? I don't want to uninstall Debian
> because I've downloadad some interesting packages. but I want to remove the
> Caldera, cause it don't works.

IF the only reason you don't want to wipe the drive is because you have
interesting packages, and IF they are from the debian repository, you
can save the list of packages:

   dpkg --get-selections > /floppy/dselect.txt

and restore after the reinstall:

   dpkg --set-selections < /floppy/dselect.txt
   apt-get dselect-upgrage

(I hope those commands are correct...)

This will only work for packages from the debian pool!