Java problems in browsers with Sid

The Mozilla and Konqueror browsers on my Debian Sid computer are unable
to view a page that supposedly requires Java to view:

The browser window just shows up as a blank screen.
In both browsers I have set "enable Java globally".
However, I'm not sure I have Java on the system.
I've read the Debian Java HOWTO and it's still not clear to me
how to get the "java" executable on my system.

Here are my installed Java packages:
root@elnino:/home/zender# dpkg --list '*java*'
||/ Name             Version          Description
ii  java-common      0.22             Base of all Java packages
un  java-compiler    <none>           (no description available)
un  java-virtual-mac <none>           (no description available)
ii  netscape-java-47 4.77-2           Netscape Java support for version 4.77
ii vnc-java 3.3.3r2-5 VNC java applet and command line program

Am I missing some plugin required to load Java webpages?

Charlie Zender, surname@uci.edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of Earth
System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100