Re: apt-get and distro aliases

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:37:12 -0500, John Fleming wrote:

> I am now running unstable.  I just tried an update using "unstable" and
> there was nothing new available.  Then I changed sources.list to "sid"
> and it retrieved 3217 kB.

I hope you'll allow me to interrupt your thread for a related question
without really answering yours.

I fixed my broken sources.list a few months ago, among other things
changing "unstable" to "sid"; afterward, 'aptitude update' worked as I
expected again.  Starting last week, 'update' retrieved no package file.
Today, I changed "sid" back to "unstable", and retrieved a 3 MB package
file plus package files for "non-us" which I had not been getting.

In one of the examples in 'man sources.list', the "distribution" field is
given as "unstable". Should the use of "unstable" versus "sid" make a
difference?  If so, which of the two is recommended or required?

> However, when I ran upgrade, nothing was upgraded. Can anyone explain
> this behavior?

Nothing I've installed is upgradable at the moment (except "tetex-doc"
which has been available for a while.