Can't open default sound device during boot... works fine after boot

Hi, this is my first post, apologies for the length.

OK, so I'm upgrading my old AMD 500MHz box with an old dual PIII 800MHz
box. Did a new base install of Debian, grabbed the package list from the
old box, used apt to get the packages, rsynced a bunch of stuff,
fiddled, and the new box is pretty much ready to go. Except.

One of the primary uses for this box is as an MP3 jukebox. I'm using a
server called Otto (http://www.cardhouse.com/otto/), which is a little
clunky, but does the job. On the new box, after boot-up, I can run this
server by typing /etc/init.d./otto start, no problem, the tunes are
playing. However, on boot, the jukebox server never works correctly. I'm
thing run.

On closer inspection, turning on debug, I see something like this in the
error log for Otto:

Otto::Mpg123->play file /home/foo/music/Various/Shots In The Dark/06-Mr.
Lucky
 - Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods.mp3
opening mpg123
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Can't open default sound device!
play result =

So, my question is, has anyone any idea why, at the very end of the
boot-up process, I'm not able to write to my sound card, but just a few
seconds later, from the command prompt, everything is hunky-dory?

The sound card has the standard Debian permissions, and all users,
including root, have been added to the audio group, so that part checks
out.

One other detail that might help: Alsa doesn't load, so I'm loading the
required modules manually from /etc/modules

Any ideas?
HARDY POTTINGER <pottingerhj@umsystem.edu>    .
I-Net Administrator, UM LSO/MCO               .
 GPG Public Key...                            .
   http://mco.mobius.missouri.edu/~hardy/     .
 worth a look...                              .
   http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/           .
   http://www.mepis.org/                      .