Re: Can't open default sound device during boot... works fine after boot

> The sound card has the standard Debian permissions, and all
> users, including root, have been added to the audio group, so
> that part checks out.

Answering my own e-mail here, I ran this by a buddy, and he scratched
his head, said dunno, and that it still sounded like a permissions
problem. Grasping at straws, I decided what the heck, just chmod 666 all
the sound stuff in /dev. Wouldn't you know, it worked. Don't know why,
and having 666 permissions on anything bugs me, but the box is behind a
firewall, and we're only talking soundcards here...

Anyway, would anyone out there have any idea why a server loaded up from
/etc/rc3.d/ would not run as root, if it's not specifically running as
another user? I'm just curious at this point...

HARDY POTTINGER <pottingerhj@umsystem.edu>    .
I-Net Administrator, UM LSO/MCO               .
 GPG Public Key...                            .
   http://mco.mobius.missouri.edu/~hardy/     .
 worth a look...                              .
   http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/           .
   http://www.mepis.org/                      .