Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 01:54:41PM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:49:57AM -0400, Jason Rennie wrote:

> >>               dpkg -S | --search filename-search-pattern ...
> >>                   Search for a filename from installed packages.
>>
>> How is this unclear, exactly?

> It doesn't say, "Search for a filename THAT IS CONTAINED WITHIN an
> installed package."  Why wouldn't the above include
> programmatically-generated configuration files?  They're "from" the
> package.
> --
> Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
> Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
> http://www.jabootu.com

Why just use our trusty old friend find?
also you have locate, whereis, and a bunch of others, I must say find can do
about anything. Also whereis is a nice catch all for common files and
programs. It seems that you need to use the right tool for the job, and
frankly I don't see dpkg -S as a good solution. It works for packages that
dpkg knows about. But then that could be said of the same for rpm -qf.

Rthoreau