Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

John Hasler writes:

> Just off the top of my head I see no reason why these files could not be
> included in the package empty and filled in by the scripts.  This would
> identify the files as belonging to the package and also allow dpkg to
> remove them, eliminating the need for the postrm to do so.

I think the canonical answer is that some programs will behave
differently if a config file exists (even if empty) than if it doesn't
exist.  E.g., /etc/nologin -- you wouldn't want to ship that :-)

Then there are some files that it's questionable who they would belong
to.  For instance, /etc/ld.so.conf needs to be modified by several
packages; if it was owned by some package, it would be a Policy
violation for any other package to touch it.  Then someone would have to
write an update-ld.so.conf script, which just seems like overkill.

I agree that the vast majority of postinst-created files in /etc don't
meet either of these criteria, so the suggestion makes sense there.  My
understanding is that there is long-term work planned on dpkg to allow
registering a list of related files on package installation, even if
they aren't actually in the package.

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544