Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

Hello

Paul Gear (<paul@gear.dyndns.org>) wrote:

> What is the canonical method for determining to which package an
> installed file belongs?  dpkg -S seems to be the right *sort* of
> thing, but doesn't always work:
>
> enoch:/share/download # dpkg -S /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf
> debconf: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf
> enoch:/share/download # dpkg -S /etc/apt/sources.list
> dpkg: /etc/apt/sources.list not found.
> enoch:/share/download # dpkg -S /etc/gpm.conf
> dpkg: /etc/gpm.conf not found.

Sometimes files are not part of the packages, but are created after
installation. Take a look at /var/lib/dkpg/info/apt.list
and /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt.postinst. I don't know if there is an eays
way to find these files, apart from grepping /var/lib/dpkg/info.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976