Re: apt-get GDM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:18:47 +0000, Craig Dunn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'v recently installed Debian on my system.  The current version of GDM
> that I have is 2.2 and I would like to upgrade it to 2.4.

Do you mean GNOME?   GDM is just a sort of X-Window login program.

> The trouble is I only have a dialup Internet connection, which gets cut
> off after 2 hours.

That may be annoying but it's not fatal.

> And I'm guessing that downloading all of the necessary GDM files will
> take more than 2 hours.

GDM is about 3 MB.  GNOME is humongous.

> So, if I start the download process using apt-get and it gets cut-off
> halfway through, will I be able to continue the installation process
> once I reconnect to the Internet?

Yes.

> I'm worried that if the installation process stops halfway, my Linux
> system will be messed up.

The loss of a network connection has never hosed my systems.

> Is it possible to tell apt-get to download all of the necessary deb
> files first and then perform the installation only when it has what it
> needs?

Yes: This is what apt-get and aptitude do by default.  Just tell it to
install whatever it is you want to install.  If you lose your network
connection, reconnect and reissue the same command; apt-get (aptitude)
will continue the download where it left off.  When all the necessary
files have been retrieved, they will be installed.

> Thanks for any advice,

When I dist-upgrade'd from Potato to Woody, I got cut off repeatedly
during the 325 MB download.  It took me nearly two days but it worked
fine.