Re: defunct processes

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 12:42:51PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I use fluxbox (0.9.9-1) and start most processes with a key
> combination through fluxkeys. This works fine, but I am noticing
> a peculiarity: processes started that way end up being
> defunct/zombie processes for a while:
> [...]
> A little googline brought up this gem:
>   http://lists.ethernal.org/dunlug-0310/msg00074.html
>
> where the author claims:
>
>   "It's normal to see a small number of zombie processes at any one
>   time one a machine (currently, my machine has 5, although that's
>   higher that normal)"
>
> This is news to me and on no other of my machines do I get to
> witness the phenomenon.
>
> Thus, I wonder if it's a bug in fluxbox or whether this is expected
> behaviour. Maybe someone can provide some insights.

Allthough I dont know for sure, but considering that you're not the
only one it seems that this is fluxbox' normal behaviour. According
to your description it is very likely that fluxbox cleans up it's
terminated children at regular intervals instead of catching SIGCHLD.
Ugly but okay, I think.

Regards
Matthias