defunct processes

I use fluxbox (0.9.9-1) and start most processes with a key
combination through fluxkeys. This works fine, but I am noticing
a peculiarity: processes started that way end up being
defunct/zombie processes for a while:

madduck  19643  0.7  0.0     0    0 ?        ZNs  11:54   0:18 [firefox-bin] <de
madduck  20776  4.5  0.0     0    0 ?        ZNs  12:30   0:19 [firefox-bin] <de

A little googline brought up this gem:

  http://lists.ethernal.org/dunlug-0310/msg00074.html

where the author claims:

  "It's normal to see a small number of zombie processes at any one
  time one a machine (currently, my machine has 5, although that's
  higher that normal)"

This is news to me and on no other of my machines do I get to
witness the phenomenon.

Thus, I wonder if it's a bug in fluxbox or whether this is expected
behaviour. Maybe someone can provide some insights.

Thanks,

`. `'`