Re: Debian Update

Hello

listcomm@ml1.net (<listcomm@ml1.net>) wrote:

>> > and make sure your /etc/apt/source.list not pointing to your
>> > cd installation....( except you want to install new package from it
>> > )
>>
>> Why not? An upgrade will always get the latest packages, and install
>> will do the same, as long as you have an update source as well as the
>> CDs in sources.list.
>
> Aha!  THANK you.  I'm about to confront this myself.
>
> I just downloaded the R2 "update" ISO for Woody and burned it to CD.
> So now my question is...  what do I do with it?
>
> Can I just add the appropriate CD-ROM entry to the sources.list file
> and then use "apt-get update"?

Use apt-cdrom to add the disc to your sources.list. Then use apt-get
upgrade.

> [...]
> I thought there should be some sort of FAQ or release notes that would
> explain exactly how this update CD is supposed to be used, but I
> haven't found it (which again doesn't mean it doesn't exist, so feel
> free to point me at it if anyone knows where it is)

Just tell apt you have it. The next apt-get upgrade will get newer
versions of installed packages from the update cd. If you install
packages, apt will automatically get the latest version.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976