Re: GUI Database?

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:45:30 -0400, Ed Sutherland wrote:

> I'm one of those persons switching from a major desktop (OS X) to Linux
> (the PPC version of Debian's distro.) I want something like Filemaker Pro.
> I know there is MySQL, but frankly, the difficulty level makes me want to
> just run and hide in a corner. :) Is there a simple alternative? Thanks.

Rekall, GPL GUI frontend to xbase, MySQL, PostgreSQL (and some commercial
drivers also). xbase/xbsql is good for lightweight db- it has limited
functionality compared to mysql or postgre, but advantage is it isn't
client/server (Rekall opens the dbf directly), so is simpler to use.

http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/index.php

unfortunately, Debian isn't supported for the $pre-built binaries ;-(

get source and build it yourself:

http://www.rekallrevealed.org/

I've built for Mandrake and Debian (sarge) , using checkinstall to do
final packaging of rpms and debs; I'm not claiming I actually did them
*right* <g>, but they seem to work- point being, I'm a hack, so I figure
anyone has a good shot at success...

pre-built debs (unofficial):

http://www.edgar.org.uk/debian/packages/

I've also heard there's work on official debs, possibly available in sid?