Re: Xterm, Schmexterm

Marc Wilson wrote:

It's not xterm.  It's the shell you're running inside it.  Correct your
custom prompt, making sure that you actually mark the non-printing
characters AS non-printing so that bash will know where the lines end.

You will note that things start behaving again if you remove the custom
prompt.

Hello Marc Wilson!

Thanks for your very well informed reply.

You know, when I couldn't get a fluxbox menu change to effect this problem and nothing I did in the way of an ~/.Xdefaults file helped either, I suspected that the way forward here just might be the prompt but just wouldn't admit it to myself. I know only so much about the interconnection of these things, shells to terminals, etc. and what could illustrate this limitation any better than your reply.

Anyway, I've set out below my ~/.bashrc and have a question or two for you about it:

# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.

export PS1='\033[1;31m\]\h:\w\$\033[0;37m\] '
umask 022

# You may uncomment the following lines if you want `ls' to be colorized:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval `dircolors`
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'
alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'
alias l='ls $LS_OPTIONS -lA'
#
# Some more alias to avoid making mistakes:
# alias rm='rm -i'
# alias cp='cp -i'
# alias mv='mv -i'

As you can see, we've got a red prompt saying "Debian1:~#" which then switches the text color to white thereafter. I would simply not know how to mark the non-printing characters as non-printing as you indicate. Might you be kind enough to explain that to me.

Regards.

jlowell