Re: OT: Which tool, and how, to get partial string from file?

Kent West wrote:

Mike, I appreciate your efforts to guide me along the way to becoming more proficient in solving my own programming needs. I'm probably over-reacting here,

I think you are.
remember that when you wask questions here, you are asking people you don't even know to give you, free of charge, of their time.

I've not followed the thread closely, but I do wish to observe that when a thread goes on for some time with additional questions being asked, some of those who've tried to help will wander off, some will become frustrated and react, "For Pete's sake...."

Always, you will get people who've either not read the question, or who've discovered a legitimate meaning you didn't intend, or who will make invalid assumptions about what the questioner knows and give completely erroneous answers.

A lot of people, probably most, give an answer without testing it: you can hardly expect anyone to do much research for you, can you?

Accept what answers you get, test them to see whether they are reasonable, be tolerant when you get "For Pete's sake."

Advice to read some particular document is often the best answer: if I refer you to a web page dealing with shell scripts, the odds are that whover wrote it has done more research than anyone would replying to a Q here.

Even when you've read until your head spins, more reading is likely to be fruitful. After a break, of course. Learn a little at a time: next time you have more knowledge to build on than you had before:-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait