Re: sound/CD player question

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:32:12PM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2004-08-22, mike <msherman77@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > I got XMMS playing radio. However I cannot play CDs as normal user, and
> > as root  it shows the countdown of the  seconds, but I get not  sound
> > output.
> > What could it be?
>
> It could be that your normal user is not in the cdrom group and that the cd
> channel is muted.

It could also be that your CD drive is not connected to your sound
card with an audio cable. Since Windows uses the IDE interface to play
CDs rather than the audio cable most new PCs don't have one (I presume
the manufacturer must save a couple of pennies per box by this or
something ;-)).

To get around this with XMMS go into preferences then the
configuration for the input plugin "CD Audio Player [libcdaudio.so]"
and set "Play mode" to "Digital audio extraction" rather than analog.

Hope that helped. :-)

--
Nicholas Lativy
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lativy