Re: sound/CD player question

Hello

Curt (<curty@free.fr>) wrote:
> On 2004-08-22, mike <msherman77@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I am running Sarge with the 2.6 kernel (that one that came with the
>> installer)
>> I got XMMS playing radio. However I cannot play CDs as normal user,
>> and as root  it shows the countdown of the  seconds, but I get not
>> sound output.
>> What could it be?
>
> It could be that your normal user is not in the cdrom group and that
> the cd channel is muted.

Kernel 2.6 also does not need IDE SCSI emulation for writing CDs
anymore, so you normally use the IDE device files. However they belong
to the disk group, and you have to change the device file for your
cdrom to group cdrom. And don't forget that you need a cable from your
CD-ROM drive to the sound card, or you need to use the cdread plugin.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976