Re: Combining images?

* Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> [2004 Aug 22 07:11 -0500]:
> On Sunday 22 August 2004 05:16, Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 11:06:19PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > > I am using a flatbed scanner to grab some magazine articles.  There are
> > > pages where a picture(s) spans both facing pages.  Since I must scan
> > > one page at a time, I am looking for a way to combine these images so
> > > they are side by side in a new file, i.e. the left side of the second
> > > image merged to the right side of the first image.  Playing with the
> > > Gimp and looking through its manuals have exhausted all the obvious
> > > clues.  Perhaps the Gimp is the wrong program here as what I want to do
> > > seems to be too basic for its authors or I am too dumb.
> >
> > Try copy and paste.  However you will need to rotate the images first so
> > they line up. You can use the Transform tool to do that.
>
> Yes, this is the way I usually do it in gimp.  Take image A, image -> canvas
> size -> (unlink x and y) -> expand the canvas enough to fit image B -> layer
> to image size (if you haven't found this yet you get there by: either
> right-click layer in layers dialogue or right-click the image and use the
> "layer" context menu) -> go to image B and select all (or as much as you
> need) -> copy (have to use ctl-c as ctl-insert doesn't work in gimp -- or
> edit menu, of course) -> back to image A -> paste -> move the pasted image to
> required location and anchor (or new layer if you don't want to merge them
> finally yet because one needs rotating slightly to match up).

Thanks Stefan and Richard.

As usually happens, I stumble across a solution.  Another search
pointed me toward a method of creating a panorama with the Gimp.  That,
in turn, led to pnmstitch and pnmcat of the netpbm package.  pnmstitch
will combine images that have overlapping areas while pnmcat just butts
them together.  Since I had already cropped my images in the Gimp,
pnmcat worked very well matching up the images in the page fold area.

It amazes me how many times I'll get frustrated with a GUI program only
to find a commandline program that does the job as well or better.  A
little experimenting with the commandline options and then a
consistently repeatable result can be obtained.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of