Re: Combining images?

On Sunday 22 August 2004 13:30, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> As usually happens, I stumble across a solution.  Another search
> pointed me toward a method of creating a panorama with the Gimp.
> That,
> in turn, led to pnmstitch and pnmcat of the netpbm package.  pnmstitch
> will combine images that have overlapping areas while pnmcat just
> butts
> them together.  Since I had already cropped my images in the Gimp,
> pnmcat worked very well matching up the images in the page fold area.

Thanks for posting this info.  I'd never heard of these utilities but
they look interesting and I'll check them out.

> It amazes me how many times I'll get frustrated with a GUI program
> only
> to find a commandline program that does the job as well or better.  A
> little experimenting with the commandline options and then a
> consistently repeatable result can be obtained.

That is so true, even though many people wouldn't expect it to be the
case for "inherently GUI" tasks like working with photos.  I was
certainly glad to discover ImageMagick after I started using a digital
camera: the command line is the easiest way to rotate 30 JPGs 90
degrees to the left!