Re: how to connect two PC's with a cross-over ethernet cable?

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 21:12, Bram Mertens wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 12:51, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 17:06, Bram Mertens wrote:
> >
> > > I have a cross-over ethernet-cable and I would like to be able to
> > > configure both computers so I can switch between the current setup and
> > > the necessary configuration to transfer files across the cross-over
> > > ethernet cable.
> > >
> > > How do I know which files contain the current configuration?
> > > How do I configure my laptop to be able to use the cross-over
> > > connection?
> >
> > Plug the cable to both ends. Then configure both machines to use IP
> > addresses with the same network mask (255.255.255.252 is already good
> > enough). No special voodoo required.
>
> Can I configure both the address and the network mask with etherconf?

Haven't used that.

> But how can I save my current settings so I can quickly restore them?

/etc/network/interfaces is your solution.

> Did you mean 255.255.255.255 for the network mask? or doesn't that make
> a difference?

A netmask of 255.255.255.255 (/32 CIDR) will make any machine talk only
to itself.

For more information, please check any subnet howto.

> > > I know that getting a router has many benefits over this setup but I am
> > > still considering some alternatives and I would like to set this up
> > > until I make up my mind.
> >
> > A switch is maybe what you might need since you just connect straight
> > cables from both machines to the switch. Same principle on configuring
> > network devices goes.
>
> Don't I need a second ethernet card in my desktop when I buy a switch in
> stead of a router?  When I'm going to buy new hardware I would like to
> be able to 'share' my internet connection between the two computers and
> have a permanent LAN.

Nope, if you've got a separate router. Yes if you would make one of the
machines a router as well. At any rate, having a switch really helps
especially when you want to share the connection to more than two units.

--

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph