Re: Kernel updates with apt-get?

Shaul Karl(shaulk@013.net.il) is reported to have said:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 01:13:58PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Scott Mohnkern(scott@mohnkern.com) is reported to have said:
> > > hmmm. I've never tried "apt-get search" before....
> > >
> > > and it didn't work..
> >
> > He meant apt-cache search.
> >
> > I was goint to tell you that you could use apropos search, to find what
> > man page name uses search, but it doesn't come up with apt-cache for
> > some reason.  Humm....
> >

>   Why should it come with apropos search? To the best of my knowledge,
> apropos looks for Unix commands, that is the first token on a Unix
> command line. With apt-cache, search is a command for apt-cache but not
> for Unix.

As apropos searches through 'man pages' not commands, I thought it
should find the apt-cache man page.  As John correctly pointed out,
"Apropos searches only the names and short descriptions" which is, of
course, why it didn't find anything about the apt-cache search option.

Is was my feeble attempt to teach the OP how to fish and instead it
taught me something, and hopefully the OP as well.

WT
--
Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.