using java-package

I installed java-package from unstable and downloaded the sun sdk1.4.
Using make-jpkg I created a .deb file which I then installed. How do I
now get my system to see this version of java? No links were created in
/etc/alternatives. On a different system in the past I used a tool from
http://z42.de/debian/ which, after creating the deb, would then put in
place the infrastructure for actually using it. Is there something
comparable in unstable? Am I missing something obvious? Alternatively,
are any of the free jvm's now comparable to the one from Sun? Thanks,

Richard